Monday, April 6, 2015

Week 90--April 6, 2015

Hey Everybody! General Conference was Awesome! This week was Awesome, and by a miracle we hit the Standard of Excellence.

Before I get into General Conference, I will talk about our week. We had lessons with the Ostlers twice this past week. It was awesome! They set a date for baptism on the 9th of May, which is the day before Mother's day. It will be very exciting for us. Hopefully I will still be here when that happens, because there is a transfer between then and now. One really cool thing that happened this week; there was just one night where everything was just falling through, no one was home nobody was outside. I suggested that we go see someone, and then Elder Warren said that we should go see someone else. We went and saw the family that Elder Warren suggested, and same thing as all night, nobody was home. We then started towards home, and Elder Warren and I both got an impression to go visit a specific Less-Active family, but neither of us said to the other that we had felt the impression, and with out a word we both knew exactly where we needed to go. We got to the house and the Wife answered the door, and was fighting to hold back her tears. She explained to us that she was an hour away from an interview with the doctors that have been taking care of her Sister, who because of a car accident has become basically a vegetable, they were going to discuss taking her Sister off of life support. She also explained that her husband, who got baptized in 2013 and since gone less-active, was at work and not there to comfort her. She said that she hadn't prayed audibly, but had more or less prayed in her heart that there would be some way for her to receive a blessing. It was after she had prayed for that in her heart that we showed up on her doorstep. The timing of it all had her fighting back tears. She asked us to give her a blessing, and as I gave her that blessing that she had desired I could feel the Love that Heavenly Father has for her, and for all of us who call on his name. It was Perhaps a more powerful spiritual experience for me, than it was for her, to me it was a powerful witness of how the Lord can use us as instrument's in his hand. I am grateful that I was in-tune with the promptings of the spirit.

General Conference: There were a few things that surprised me during Conference. First, President Monson did not open the Conference, or close it, and he wasn't the last speaker during the Sunday morning session. I guess his health isn't doing too well, and he can't do as much. Second, I was surprised that Elder Richard G. Scott did not speak at all during the conference. Third, I was surprised that there were dissenting votes in the sustaining of the officers of the church. 
My favorite word that was used during Conference was Pickle-suckers by Dallin H. Oaks. There were a lot of really good talks. I don't think I have ever heard so many talks focused on Marriage. We were watching Conference at the Stake Center, and my companion leaned over to me and Elder McConkie and said that they were all directed right at us, as both of us will go home during the summer. I guess that isn't quite what I want to be thinking about yet. I still have a long time as a missionary! I really enjoyed Elder Oaks talk about the Parable of the Sower. I also like how he called out the youth of the church for being on their mobile devices during the Sacrament. I thought that was really good. I also enjoyed Elder Ballard's talk during Priesthood session, when he challenged all the missionaries and return missionaries to raise the bar of our generation to be the greatest generation of young adults ever, and then what did he do? He said return missionaries do not wait too long to get married, and then he challenged them to not text their dates, but to call or ask in person, and it might shock them into saying yes. I also liked several talks on Sunday including Jeffrey R. Holland's talk about the Atonement, and President Uchtdorf's talk on Grace. Both were very good. It was awesome to see that all of the questions that I asked for conference were answered.

Well I love you guys!

Elder Bangerter

No comments:

Post a Comment